Capital Gains Tax on selling property and shares in Spain

The capital gains generated on the transmission of goods acquired at a lower price than the obtained in their sale are subject to taxation on the most of the nowadays tax systems. The most common are those derived from the alienation of shares, bonds, precious metals and properties.

In some countries, there exist taxes that charges this taxable event independently as for example the Capital Gains Tax from United Kingdom, while in Spain, this operations are taxed within the Personal Income Tax (IRPF), the Personal Income Tax for Non Residents (IRNR) or the Corporate Tax (IS) depending on who is the taxpayer and its residency.

Next we are going to explain the consequences of selling properties and shares in Spain and if you can take advantage from tax benefits being a natural person. Whether if you are Resident or Non Resident, you will find the information you need.

Capital gains tax for Spanish Residents

The natural person’s incomes are classified as general income and savings income. Capital gains on investments and properties are considered savings income.

The tax rate that must pay Spanish residents in 2018 for this gains depends on the obtained benefit, that must be applied to the next table:

  • Up to 6.000 Euros, the tax rate is 19%.
  • From 6.000 to 50.000 Euros, the tax rate is 21%.
  • From 50.000 Euros an up, the tax rate is 23%.

The value of the capital gain is obtained from the difference between the value of the transfer and the acquisition value, which are not more than the sale and purchase price, and may be entitled to the consideration of certain expenses inherent to said operations.

Reductions for goods acquired before 1995

There are some reductions available for Spanish residents who acquired assets on December 31st, 1994 or before that date. To benefit from them, the asset must have been sold for less than 400,000 Euros.

The reduction only affects the accumulated gain until January 20, 2006 and represents these percentages:

  • 11,11% in real estate.
  • 25% in shares.
  • 14,28% in the rest of the capital gains.

Exemption for reinvestment in habitual residence

If you transmit your habitual residence and reinvest the money in buying another habitual residence, you will not have to pay for the capital gains. There are certain requirements to make effective the income tax exemption for reinvestment in habitual residence, as for example that the property it must be in a country of the European Union or the European Economic Area.

Exemption for sale of habitual residence in people over 65

Spanish legislation also includes an exemption for capital gain for people over 65 who sell their habitual residence, regardless of whether they reinvest the profit obtained or not. So, if you’re thinking of selling your house and you’re close to that age, you’d better wait until you turn 65.

Capital gains tax for Non-residents in Spain

Any capital gain from the sale or transfer of assets located in Spain has a fixed tax of 24% for Non-Residents, being 19%, if it is resident in any other country of the European Union, Iceland or Norway.

In addition, since 2015, any person residing in a country of the European Union or the European Economic Area that has an agreement for the exchange of tax information with Spain may benefit from the exemption for reinvestment of a habitual residence. This new habitual residence does not need to be in Spain.

To buy or sell assets such as properties and shares in Spain, we recommend that you consult with a tax advisor such as GM Tax, which is the best way to do it. We analyze each case in a personalized way and find the best solution. Contact us and leave in your hands your taxes on capital gains.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *